The History of GAA Rounders


GAA Rounders was included in the original GAA charter back in 1884, along with Gaelic Football, Hurling and Handball. Until 1958, no initiatives were evident in clubs to play Rounders despite the availability of written rules in An Chlar OifigiialCumann Luthchleas Gael. Antrim club Erins Own approved the running and funding of a Rounders match under the rules in the Official guide. 

Over the next twelve years one member of the Erins Own club, Peadar o' Tuatain kept the initiative alive with efforts which led to the formation of teams in the Air Corps in Baldonnell, Co. Dublin and in St. Joseph's Teacher Training College in Belfast. 

In 1970, Erins Own club were again to the fore, supporting the launch of the Primary Schools Rounders Championships in the Toomebridge area of County Antrim and County Derry . Those championships have continued yearly since then and have become more widely played in Derry , Antrim & Tyrone Schools. Senior & Minor Championships are played across Ireland and there is an annual Feile weekend for juvenile players. In 2008, GAA Rounders celebrated 50 years since its revival.